the location of Dignitas- a metaphor of human existence

Es ist nur ein Lesezugriff möglich.

Moderatoren: Ludwig A. Minelli, Mediator

Gesperrt
klsaurian

the location of Dignitas- a metaphor of human existence

Beitrag von klsaurian »

I read that Dignitas is next to a brothel and that the maire was angry about this, as this vicinity gives his town a bad reputation.

I believe that the location is very inspired, as it is a metaphor of human existence. Indeed, what could be more appropriate than to put Eros and Thanatos one near the other? Indeed, Eros (or libido - the principle of life, of sex) and Thanatos (the instinct of death - the principle of aggressiveness) were recognized by Freud in his later work as the two complementary principles of human life. The presocratic philosopher Empedocles somehow anticipated the idea with his two principles of Love and Hatred.

Sex generates life, and death ends it. But sex itself is an ironical mask of
death - indeed, if only mortal creatures need sex, and - on the other hand - if we were immortal we wouldn't presumably be "programmed" to need sex.

....hope you enjoyed my philosophical thoughts

P.S. An important detail: since humans are social beings, as Aristotle put in his "Politics", both sex and death are on money. Perhaps in all contexts of social life money makes an implicit difference to sex and death - but the vicinity of Dignitas (Thanatos) and a brothel (Eros) only makes explicit this implicit factor.
Gesperrt